Wednesday, October 17, 2012

No More Washing or Bandaids: An Update on Connor's Finger.

Yesterday we traveled to the orthopaedic surgeons office for another check up of Connor's finger. I feel like I'm on a first name basis with the staff. We've been there 3 times in the past month. I also feel like we should just start auto deducting Drew's paycheck to Walmart (that's the only place we shop for groceries and lifes necessities) and the doctors.  digress.

The minute we pulled into the parking lot Connor started saying "no doctor." I knew this was a sign that things were not going to go well. Add to the fact that I was a bit frazzled from running late, almost running out of gas on the way to drop Brayden off at a friend's house, and pulling into the parking lot 5 minutes later than his scheduled appointment. Things were going really swell at that point, so to hear Connor complain about going to the doctor nearly pushed me over the edge. Nevertheless, I pressed on.

We walked into the waiting room, and it hit me that besides his beloved toy tractor, I had no distractions to con him into thinking the doctor was cool. A small cup of water from the water fountain did nothing but get me wet, as he slapped that puppy out of my hands. It wasn't long after the water slapping that he decided to scream bloody murder in the waiting room. Not sure if you've ever been to an orthopaedic office, but about 99% of the people in the waiting room are over the age of 70. Meaning the surrounding patients that are waiting don't do well with screaming toddlers. I could feel the glares pressing in on me. I tried my best. Really I did. But I hit breaking point and told the receptionist they could find me outside. I wasn't about to make everyone else miserable just for the sake of staying indoors.

Upon walking outside, Connor decided to up his tantrum game and threw himself on the concrete ground. There are times in parenting when things make you mad and you want to blow a gasket. And then there are a times when you just start laughing at the insanity of it all. Thankfully I chose the later, and just sat there in awe of the epic tantrum Connor was throwing. To say we've hit the terrible twos is the understatement of the century. Here's proof of said epic tantrum. At this point I'm not sure that either of us knew why he was screaming.
Oh the tragedy.
We finally were called back to the patient room, where Connor continued his display of toddler awesomeness. And then the doctor walked in, and he was giving knucks and high fives like he had just won the NBA championship, no tears included. I was grateful for the change of heart, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you it didn't peeve me a bit.

Good news is that his finger has healed so well that the doctor now feels like we probably won't need surgery! In fact, his finger has healed so well that aside from a little nail deformation, his finger looks great and has grown back almost all of the skin and tissue he had lost. HUGE PRAISE! Thank you Jesus for answered prayers! There's no longer a need for the nightly soaks, and we don't have to bandage it either! Amen and Amen.

We go back in a few months to have the doctor check the finger again just to make sure everything completely healed and nothing weird happened. I am so relieved to be (almost) done with this saga of our lives. I'm even more grateful and once again convinced of the power of prayer. I have so many people praying for healing and our prayers were answered! Praise Jesus! Also, I marvel at the fact that our bodies regenerate SO well when we are young and still growing. The doctor basically said that he feels like the Lord made children's bodies to regenerate so quickly because He knew that kids are rough and get injured so frequently. What a mighty creator we serve!

A Dollop of My Life Copyright © 2007 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger