Tuesday, July 27, 2010

An Update on Connor

I'm sorry for not posting this earlier today, but honestly our afternoon was CRAZY busy and I am just now getting time to sit down and type everything out. First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and prayers. I had SUCH a peace going into the office today. Evidenced by my SUPER low blood pressure (my blood pressure is naturally low, but today it was the lowest it has been all pregnancy-- 96/54).

Unfortunately my doctor was delivering babies all morning, so she was running WAY behind. And by WAY behind I mean that we got there at 10:30am, and didn't even get CALLED BACK until 11:10. Then we waited another 15-20 minutes once we were called back and in an exam room. I wasn't in a rush, and had Drew there to talk to me so it was all good. Connor's heart rate was the highest it's been all pregnancy, coming in at 160 bpm. She said it sounded good and strong, which is always reassuring. After measuring my belly (first time she's done this and I am measuring exactly to the day!), we talked about the ultrasound. Basically she didn't give me definitive answers (which I wasn't really expecting since we haven't had the second ultrasound yet), but she did ease my mind by explaining things patiently and methodically. Yes, his kidneys are enlarged. But they are measuring at 4.5 and 5.5, which she said is the upper levels of normal. So he's still in the normal range, but they definitely want to monitor it to make sure they didn't get bigger. She said at this point, worst case scenario is that it does not resolve before birth and the pediatrician would need to do a renal ultrasound at birth. I asked what levels start to become concerning, and she said around a 10 they start worrying that something is really wrong. He's well under that, so right now she said she doesn't really have reason to worry about it at this point. She also said that of all the things that could show up as "bad" on an ultrasound, this is the "best" thing.

The sonographer did not get adequate views of the arteries of Connor's heart, nor of his spine (which we knew about the spine), and so the radiologist was not able to make an adequate report on those two organs. She said that more than likely it was due to to the way Connor was laying, and so they want to get better visualizations for the radiologist. Nothing they saw was concerning... just need more pictures.

So at this point I feel a lot better. Yes, I am still concerned, as any mother would be I would think. But from how my doctor explained everything to me, I have a better understand of everything and feel like right now there's really no need to worry.

And for the record, I did talk to the doc about my concerns about the nurse's bedside manner. Not sure anything will happen, and not really sure that was my intent to begin with, I just felt like she needed to know that it was not a one time occurrence and that there were other people I know of that have felt the same way.

Well, I am pooped from my long, exhausting day, in addition to my allergy problems. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep-- not sure I remember the last time I had one :(

A Dollop of My Life Copyright © 2007 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger